To avoid a ticket or even worse, an accident, you must ensure that your trailer lights are working. Luckily wiring kits are easy to install or replace. Most trucks, vans, SUV’s, and RV’s manufactured in the mid 1990′s include factory installed trailer lighting connectors and ready made plugs. You can call us today for parts and installation at 1-800-828-9876. We have many locations that you can stop by to have our capable staff do the work for you. For the DIY click the link below and see diagram below for instructions.
Avoid a ticket or even worse, an accident, make sure that your trailer lights are working. Wiring kits are easy to install or replace. Most trucks, vans, SUV’s, and RV’s manufactured in the mid 1990′s include factory installed trailer lighting connectors and ready made plugs. Call ecustomhitch today for parts and installation at 1-800-828-9876. We have many locations that you can stop by to have our capable staff do the work for you. For the DIY click the link below courtesy of Hitchinfo and see diagram below for instructions.
The new Draw-Tite Pro-Series Fold Down Bike Carrier Hitch Mount features fully adjustable wheel slots and tilting vertical stabilizer. It fits 1 1/4″ and 2″ receivers. Don’t be afraid to hit the trails this summer, the new mount is powder coat rust resistant so you can weather any storm. The rise shank allows you the road clearance to maneuver any road with ease. It even includes a 2″ receiver adapter! Call us today at 1-800-828-9876 to order part 63144.
The most important part of a trailers suspension system is the leaf springs. In the case of double eye leaf springs, they attach at the eyes by spring hangers. On tandem and triple axle trailers there are spring hangers located in the front and rear with equalizers in the middle. You must know the type of leaf spring system and the trailer axles diameter and capacity you have when determining the type of spring hangers or hanger kit you need. The higher the number of leafs on a spring increases the weight capacity of the spring.
The only maintenance required in general for trailer leaf springs is to ensure they are correctly rinsed off when used in salt water. It’s also a good idea to apply lubricant to moving parts for general care.
Also check out our blog on how to measure trailer springs.
All types available at http://www.ecustomhitch.com/store/trailer_parts/springs/ or call us at 800-966-5905. Free shipping on orders over $99.
- Trailer tires are for use on trailer axles only.
- An “LT” designation is not designed for use on light trucks, it refers to load range.
- “ST” or “LT” trailer tires must not be mounted on passenger cars or light trucks.
- To properly manage the weight of the trailer all tires must be identical in size.
- The capacity of all of the tires combined should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20% or more.
Using & Maintaining
- There is a maximum speed rating of 65 mph on all “ST” trailer tires.
- Do not use tire-care products containing alcohol or petroleum products, use mild soap and water to clean the tires.
- Before each trip, inspect the tires for any cuts, snags, bulges or punctures and check the inflation.
- Weather and time contribute greatly to weaken trailer tires.
- Approximately one-third of the tire’s strength is gone in 3 years.
- Three to five years is the expected life of a normal trailer tire.
- After three to four years of service it’s recommended that trailer tires be replaced whether they look worn out or not.
- The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty; they are not designed to wear out.
- The probable mileage of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles
- If one tire on a tandem axle trailer fails, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire most likely will have been subjected to excessive weight.
- If you replace your tires those of a larger diameter, the tongue height may need to be adjusted, This is to ensure proper weight distribution
- Trailer tires should be stored in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.
- Tire covers should be used to protect tires from direct sunlight.
- For long term storage, put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. The tires should then be covered to protect them from the sun.
For more information on buying trailer tires, go to http://www.ecustomhitch.com/store/trailer-tires/ or call us on 800-966-5905. Free shipping on orders over $99.
When selecting a trailer axle consider the following points:
1) LOAD CAPACITY: make sure the axle is rated for more than the load you will be carrying. If you have a multiple axle trailer, the load capacity of the axle will be doubled or tripled depending on the amount of axles.
2) OVERALL LENGTH: measure the distance between the ends of both spindles.
3) HUB FACE: is the measurement from one ‘hub face’ to the other. The hub face is where the rim connects with the hub.
4) SPRING CENTERS: measure the distance from the center of one spring to the center of the other. (You do not need this for torsion axles)
5) AXLE STYLE: This applies if you are reusing old mounting hardware and also for proper tire clearance. Check spindle size.
The E-Z Lube Axle from Dexter
All of our axles are the Dexter E-Z Lube design which allows grease to flow with ease to both outer and inner bearings for a complete repack. It’s E-Z because all you need to do is attach a grease gun at the end and insert grease. No disassembly required! E-Z Lube’s end cap allows for easy access, extra protection and no mess.
With such complete lubrication, your running gear is protected from corrosion and water entry. E-Z Lube protection and maintenance features make it ideal for almost any towable axle, whether it’s for work or play.
Give your running gear the ultimate in protection and maintenance ease with E-Z Lube from Dexter!
For more information on ordering an axle, go to http://www.ecustomhitch.com/store/trailer_parts/axles/ or call us on 800-966-5905 if you have any questions.
Trailer theft is a huge problem that is rapidly getting worse and, according to the FBI, a vehicle is stolen every 27 seconds so it’s vital you secure your trailer and contents properly. If you leave your trailer unsecured and it’s stolen, you have to file a claim with your insurance company, pay a deductible, deal with down time and inconvenience plus possible increased premium rates and/or cancellation of your policy
One of the easiest and most effective ways of protecting your property and avoiding all that aggravation is to use a wheel lock. Wheel locks are recommended by law enforcement officials for trailer security and you can have your trailer and/or vehicle secured in only 5 seconds. They are installed directly onto the wheel/tire, immobilizing the wheel and making it impossible to move the vehicle. Their bright colors discourage thieves and their strong steel composition prevents cutting or sawing.
Ideal for any trailer-mounted equipment, they work well on crew trucks, dump trucks, trailers, backhoe loaders, skid steer loaders and other equipment in addition to RV’s, motorcycles, cars and trucks. For convenience, some are also available with keyed alike locks.
When buying a wheel lock, look for these features:
- Weather resistant
- Pick and drill resistant
- Cutting and sawing resistant
- Cannot be frozen with Freon
- Rated 6x stronger than commercial grade steel
- Two year replacement warranty against manufacturer defects
Alpha Lock is one of the leading manufacturers in the USA of quality wheel locks and they are available at http://www.ecustomhitch.com/store/trailer_parts/locks/wheel-locks/ with free shipping on orders over $99.
If you have any questions about your trailer, please call us on 800-966-5905.